[EdLUG] How to access camera on Raspberry pi 4 in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Matthew Rankine matthew at mrankine.com
Wed Nov 11 18:33:52 UTC 2020

I don't have a complete answer but do know that in general you interact
with the Raspberry Pi Camera Module using applications such as raspistill
and raspivid which are contained in the libraspberrypi-bin package (the
recent HQ camera is a different beast however). This package is available
for Ubuntu in a PPA -- despite the raspi2 label, this blog suggests it is
valid for a Pi4 as of this year.
https://harry.plus/blog/ubuntu-and-raspberry-pi-4/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/RaspberryPi#Optional_PPAs

In case useful, the source code for libraspberrypi-bin is here:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

Note that if you are using a 64-bit OS then raspistill may not work at all:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=275372&p=1729089&hilit=raspistill#p1729089

If none of this helps, I've always found the Pi forums helpful
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=131

Matthew