[EdLUG] Andrew Ramage shared "HTML" with you

Jeremy Nicoll jn.ml.elx.813 at letterboxes.org
Sun May 24 17:29:55 UTC 2020

On Sun, 24 May 2020, at 17:43, Andrew Ramage (via Dropbox) wrote:
>  Hi there,
>
> Andrew Ramage (andrew.ramage.1963 at gmail.com) invited you to edit the
> folder "*HTML*" on Dropbox.

> Go to folder
> <https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AAA5vQm-beWIlh3utkH2MO7KJUysFcRh1vQ>

Although I've been a Dropbox user for years, when I click that link I am asked
to sign-in to Dropbox.  But if someone sends me a link to (say) an image (or
folder of images) on Dropbox I just get to see the file (or a folder view of the
files).  This seems different and I don't know why.

I did also try clicking your link when I'm logged-in to the Dropbox website, but
that produces a message saying you (Andrew) have shared the folder with
(literally) the 'user' "edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk" and that's not any of us as
individuals, and certainly not me.  (And my Dropbox userid is not the email
address I use here, anyway.)

I think what the link is offering is full access to whatever is in your HTML folder
but while I might be willing to take a look at the files, I don't want write access.

Is not possible to send out a link to a general read-only view of the folder?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.