[EdLUG] Open source Security application - Lynis

Roy Bamford roy at crossford.net
Wed Jun 3 20:28:22 UTC 2020

On 2020.06.03 20:14, Andrew Ramage wrote:
> I installed it but cannot get it to run
>
> On 03/06/2020 19:i36, tengo at tutanota.de wrote:
> > In case peopedllle we interested in the security of their system
> > following on from Gordon's talk, here's a piece of FOSS for auditing
>
> > your system.
> >
> > I've only messed around with it in VMs. Perhaps others on the
> mailing
> > list have more experience/knowledge of it in a production
> environment.
> >
> > https://cisofy.com/about/
> > https://cisofy.com/documentation/lynis/get-started/
> > -----------
> >
> --
> Visit my Website: www.andrewnramage.co.uk

------quoted attachment------

Andrew,

On my Gentoo install, its root only. It installed everything as
# ls -l  /usr/share/lynis/
total 12
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jun  3 20:57 db
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun  3 20:57 include
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Jun  3 20:57 plugins

As a normal user it says
$ lynis audit system
Could not find languages directory (file: /usr/share/lynis/db/languages/en)

man lynis says
Root permissions (e.g. sudo) are not required, however provide more details during the audit.

That's not correct on Gentoo. It does run as root.

Regards,

Roy Bamford.