[EdLUG] Can't Reach Log In Page

Roy Bamford roy at crossford.net
Sun Jan 19 20:33:00 UTC 2020

On 2020.01.16 19:11, emailontheweb wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anybody know what's going on?  (Still using Kubuntu,haven't had
> time to make the switch yet or back up unfortunately)
> I can't log in like normal.I did have a bit too many tabs up making FF
> slow,but no freezing.Then I shut down PC so my sister could use her
> own (non-admin account) on Kubuntu although the password was correct
> it wouldn't log in.
>
> I pressed power off button ,got a whole load of errors.Then  (see
> photo) this comes up every time so I can't get into the log in page.
> (Using Ubuntu live  USB so can use the PC,haven't checked if Windows
> 10 works yet,have dual boot)
> Do I need to reset the BIOS  to vendor (optimized) defaults?
> Thanks,
> Marion

------quoted attachment------

Marion,

I'm a Gentoo user, not Kubuntu, so I'm probably not the best to try to help.

Booting is a multi stage process. The firmware loads the boot loader,
the boot loader, loads the kernel and optionally, an iniramfs.
The initramfs is used as a temporary root filesystem that mounts the real
root filesystem.

From your (initramfs) promt and the mention of Busybox, something went
wrong while the initramfs was doing its thing and control was not passed to
the real root filesystem so that booting could complete.

(initramfs) is a root prompt from busybox. You can have a look around
using shell commands to see what has happened and maybe deduce what
went wrong.

If you know where Kubuntu is installed, can you see the block device
in   ls /dev ?

There will be a script called /init or /sbin/init that controls what the
initramfs does. It did not complete.
Its possible to run the commands one at a time and see which one fails.
Unfortunately, thats not trival as some will be expected to fail on a second
run. I suspect the init script is quite complex too as it will be a one size
fits all thing.

You have been adding the kernel options in the right place, to the
end of the kernel command line in grub.
I would be tempted to remove everything there after and including the ro.
Let the autoblackmagic do its thing.

acpi_apic_instance=2 is worth trying too.
You are supposed to have two copies of the ACPI tables. This says
to use the second copy. The first is normally used.

I trust you are editing the kernel command line in RAM and not on
disk?
At the grub menu, make your selection but press 'e' rather than enter.

Regards,

Roy Bamford.