[EdLUG] Help

Roy Bamford roy at crossford.net
Mon Aug 24 18:13:50 UTC 2020

On 2020.08.22 18:26, Andrew Ramage wrote:
> I should have 66G free on my home directory, but I have 0 bytes free.
>
> Anyone know what's happened ?
>
> y --
> Visit my Website: www.andrewnramage.co.ukelpy

Andrew,

Wild guesses

Your 'deleted' files are still in use?
Files don't get removed and the space they use freed
until their refcount reaches zero.

Linux keeps track of how many things refer to a file.
Removing a directory entry decrements the refcount.
If another process has the file open, the refcount will
be non zero and the disk space will remain allocated.

You run df as your normal user and again as root
and get zero free space as your normal user and
66G as root.

ext4 reserves 5% of a filesystem for root by default.
When there is only a single filesystem, this prevents
normal users from crashing the system by filling the
filesystem.

Have you run out of i-nodes?
Every file needs at least one i-node. If they are all
in use, no new files can be created.

What does df -h and df -hi say?

Regards,

Roy Bamford