[EdLUG] Help

Ian Stuart Ian.Stuart at ed.ac.uk
Mon Aug 24 06:50:05 UTC 2020

On 22/08/2020 18:26, Andrew Ramage wrote:
> Warning. This email contains links or attachments and originates outside
> of the University.
> You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that
> the email is genuine and the content is safe.
>
> I should have 66G free on my home directory, but I have 0 bytes free.
> Anyone know what's happened ?
You filled the disk.

When you say "Home Directory", what _partition_ are you on?
(lots of systems don't partition /home/ from /)

If you've been playing with building a lot of docker images, that can
fill up /var/lib/docker quite quickly (I do, and I've currently got 218G
of data just there)

I suspect video processing & image editing can leave large caches behind.

try running "sudo du -hs /*" to see which directory tree has all the
space.... and then descent the tree to pinpoint the problem

--
Ian Stuart.
Perl & Python developer,