[EdLUG] EdLUG May talk | Where's the Water? with Jonathan Riddell

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 09:03:27 UTC 2020

Hi all

Jonathan has confirmed that, barring any force majeure, he will be able to
give the scheduled talk on Tuesday 5th of May 2020.

We will be doing this once again via Jitsi Meet, again with the caveat that
users will be required to use either Chromium or Chrome to connect:

https://meet.jit.si/EdinburghLUG

Please note that this is now firmly an *online* event for May ; if the
restrictions on public venues are lifted before the date of the meetup, I
would like to err on the side of caution. Also saves on any confusion by
changing things around at a later date.

Thanks everyone, hope to see you there, and stay safe!

Tai

+++ Details +++

For EdLUG May 2020 we have Jonathan Riddell talking about his project
"Where's the Water?", a collaborative mapping tool for crowd sourcing data
on Scottish rivers for the Scottish Canoe Association

Project source: https://github.com/jriddell/wheres-the-water

Deployed at: https://www.canoescotland.org/go-paddling/wheres-the-water

And.. KDE is All About the Apps, the new Goals

To do this, we will use the hosted edition of Jitsi Meet, an open source
web conferencing solution. Currently it has problems with Firefox
unfortunately [1] so could participants please use Chromium, or Chrome, to
connect, otherwise the meeting could be degraded for everybody...

Programme:

19:00 - meet online: https://meet.jit.si/EdinburghLUG (using
Chromium/Chrome please [1])
19:15 - start talk
20:00 - closing notes. Q&A roundtable

The Q&A session allows online attendees to ask questions about Linux, Open
Source, recommendations, etc; and any member can answer or chip in.

[1]: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/issues/4758#issuecomment-604306010

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software