[EdLUG] October Meetup | GNU/Linux on your Android with Termux

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 12:51:06 UTC 2019

Hi all,

TL;DR:

1. Next talk is 1st October, at Akva, 7:15pm start, with JB talking about Termux
2. Our venue is Akva until February inclusive, with microphone for
speakers (except if we get booked over)
3. Plans for the next few months
  * November talk on Jupyter and Kubernetes
  * December needs planning - Tai won't do it
  * January - call for talks
  * February - Linux intro, install demo, distro showcase. Bring lots
of new people please, spread the Joy of Linux

+++
October Talk

Tuesday 1st of October's talk is going to be about Termux, an Android
app that provides a GNU/Linux environment with bash, GNU coreutils,
APT package management... the whole shebang! It can do quite a bit,
including running local webservers, serve as an SSH client.... and
more that our speaker JB will be regaling us with.

Akva, 7pm, for a 7:15pm start.

+++
Venues

I had a chat with the staff after the last meetup, and it turns out we
*can* use amplification in that area - they'll even give us the
microphone! So terribly sorry to the previous speakers!

In light of this, I've confirmed that we will be using the space up
until February inclusive (which is the anniversary of changing venues
last year). The caveat that somebody could book over us with a paid
reservation still stands, in which case we'll use a fallback solution.
I am thinking of Sofi's Southside for this, although it is not
"accessible," and I still have to scope the place out in person.

+++
Future dates

November's talk is planned to be on Jupyter Notebooks and Deploying
with Kubernetes, with Ian Stuart

December as per tradition will be a Christmas-related thing ; I'm
leaving it open to someone else to look after that, as I tend to shy
away from such events myself.

First meetup of 2020 will be the 7th of January - this has
traditionally been a celebration/commiseration social event, but I'd
like to change that. The slot is open to whoever would like to give a
talk ; if none, I will ensure there is an engaging session on some
Linux/BSD/tech topic ;-)

4th of February 2020 - I intend to do something that probably hasn't
been done in a while (at all??) A general introduction to Linux, quick
install demo, and a distro-hop/showcase. Suggestions of distros to
highlight welcome, and please bring as many new people along as you
can - this session is intended to bring the Joys of Linux to
newcomers!

All the best, and see you in a few weeks time!

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

I use LibreOffice , a free, Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software