[EdLUG] Recommendation request: email service

Tai Kedzierski dch.tai at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 12:35:58 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody has tried (and somewhat tested?) any email providers
as alternative to Gmail?

The main reason I'm still on Gmail is because of their excellent spam
filtering, functionality of which is of importance to me. The other
features like labelling/tagging and search are of less importance.

I've noticed a more frequent appearance of tutanota.... any reason for this
one's popularity?

I did do a little reading up and found this article which seems to give
quite a good rundown

https://restoreprivacy.com/secure-email/

The one I come away with thinking I'd try is runbox.com since I'd in theory
be able to use its IMAP/SMTP functions for personal notifications once
again (Google has crippled this, of course.)

Then of course there's the argument that Google has most peoples' email
anyway, since many recipients are using Gmail, but that turns into a
circular argument. I'd also like to actually walk the walk better, being a
proponent of not supporting privacy-invasive revenue models...

===
Tai Kedzierski
Linux Operations and Deployments Engineer

I use LibreOffice <https://www.libreoffice.org/> , a free,
Freedom-respecting replacement for MS Office

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software