[EdLUG] [Baen Baen's Bar] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Cybersecurity

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 20:49:32 UTC 2019

haha . yes because to do a security audit there is no need to have access
to any particular machines, nor to inform the sysadmin, and reaction from
the system administrators could be seen as signs of paranoia which is
necessary to have proper security. Its enough to plug in to a live network
socket and test from there. Perhaps from more than one socket to get a
bigger picture of the network, and looking at the setup is usually enough
to get an idea.

Data security can be checked by physical intervention to any backup device,
a bigger concern is often whether data can be rebuilt after server failure.
Typically NAS Raid can be problematic.

At first I thought you were a pub ... but its a BB/Forum

Don't worry about what happens - they might find some holes and make some
recommendations, and they still need someone to actually do the work and
run the systems on a day to day basis...

Lots of people are panicking about the GDPR deadline for publishing
compliance statement.

Usually I don't use a root password but pgp keys for ssh and when someone
asks for access I ask for their public key and don't allow root logins any
other way - its enough to shut up all the M$windows operators.

Good luck anyway, and when you get a chance think about what you would do
if your server went bang as this is the most common security failure which
I have come across. Not mentioning any names, but there are corporates out
there who cannot do simple arithmetic such as hourly downtime costs which
can amount to £100,000s if a server is lost. (hint - average cost of staff
wages x 5 x number of staff) - the 5 is an arbitrary multiplier because
staff have costs, overheads, and do work to generate revenues, so even with
10 staff on minimum wages (10 x 5 x 10 = £500/Hour) a live up to date
backup server is needed.

Mark