[EdLUG] [Baen Baen's Bar] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Cybersecurity

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Feb 20 15:38:28 UTC 2019

The first thing to ask them would be what their concerns are.
If the clients and server are only being used by customers for casual
internet access then there would be little risk to the business.

The first things to ask are :-
Is there an adequate firewall in place ? - I have been using ClearOS since
it was born (formerly clarkconnect) which provides a cheap solution for
keeping intruders out and logging activity.

Is there separate data on a server ? and what kind of data is this ?
Security is a big issue, and it has lots of answers depending on the
organisation.

You should start by asking the questions such as

What do they want from a "Security Audit" ?

What data is held, and who has access to it ?
What measures are in place to protect its privacy, and what backups exist ?
Can backup data be accessed outside the system ?
Does the organisation need a GDPR statement ? Is there and need to register
as a data controller ?

Office systems and administration systems should sit behind a secondary
firewall if public internet access is provided, again I would use a ClearOS
gateway.

I suspect that they just need to make sure that they comply with GDPR, and
to know that their business systems are protected from public access.

I still have some older systems from Lawyers which can be used for gateways
if you need any.

Good Luck.
Mark