[EdLUG] Meeting Roundup

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Nov 7 12:37:58 UTC 2018

Hi EdLUG

Thanks to everyone who attended the additional meetup yesterday. Though it was at a different venue the turnout was good and we had an informative discussion.

Though December is traditionally when the Christmas meal is held, it was decided that we will meetup for drinks instead. Thus, the next EdLUG meetup will take place on Thursday 6th December at 7.30pm. However, the venue will change to the Alexander Graham Bell for this meetup. Future meetup venues will be confirmed in due course.

In terms of plans for 2019, EdLUG will continue to meet on a monthly basis. However, we felt that a transition period may be needed as we continue to search for a new venue. As such, one possibility is to alternate the nature of the meetups. I am looking into perhaps securing a room at the Edinburgh University central campus. However, this room may only be available every two months. As such we could alternate EdLUG meetups by having a talk one month and an informal meetup the following month, etc.

Other topics discussed included widening the scope of EdLUG to include all open source software and technology. This would allow us to use Linux as the basis for discussion, but not be limited to solely to this topic. Should this occur, a name change for the meetup would need to be considered. Also, changing the format of the website to simplify its operation was mentioned. Kris suggested using Discord which would allow for more people to participate online.

Feedback is welcome from everyone, please feel free to reply to this message with any thoughts or suggestions.

Hopefully see you all in December :)

Best Wishes

Shehraz