[EdLUG] September talk

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Jul 19 17:09:04 UTC 2018

On 2018.07.19 09:12, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope that all of you are well,
>
> So this is regarding my September talk for you guys.
> As I said before it will be about manual configuration and
> installation of
> Linux kernel,
> but I would like to know what is the most common Linux distribution
> used by
> you guys?
> You know I just could show to you how to do it on Gentoo Linux but
> probably
> nobody is using it among all of you.
>
> So please use this survey to select Linux Distribution.
>
> http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/6OCGJ/
>
> The one with most users will be chosen for my next talk.
>

> Regards
> Piotr

------quoted attachment------

Piotr,

On Gentoo its easy. You have all the sources and bits to build the
kernel. It just works. You would really only cover the configuration.

Binary distros are harder. You need to fetch the kernel sources and
build tools to get started.

I clicked Gentoo in your survey but don't mind me as I'm unlikely to
be able to attend.

It all depends on the scope of your talk what's a good distro to use.

Regards,

Roy Bamford.