[EdLUG] Andrew Ramage shared "Installation Errors.txt" with you

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 14:51:24 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

I've had a quick look. I'm more an openSUSE or CentOS kind of man
myself, but I would probably do the following :-

Try doing the "sudo apt autoremove" to try and get to a good starting point
Then try the "sudo apt-get install -f" on it's now, so your only dealing
with one command at a time. If that works without error then move onto
the "sudo apt-get upgrade"

There is mention of it trying to do a "running python rtupdate hooks for
python3.6" and then several more of the same kind of errors relating to
"python3" packages.

You could have a look in "/usr/share/python3/runtime.d" for the package
name your having issues with, eg.
"/usr/share/python3/runtime.d/python3-problem-report.rtupdate" and then
delete these files and reinstall "python3"

As i say I'm no expert and haven't used Ubuntu that often, but it did
used to use python2.7 as it's default python version. If this is still
the case then you could try removing python3, doing a clean up and then
reinstalling.. I must stress that you have to be 100% certain that
Ubuntu is NOT using python3 as it's default.

I had an issue when trying to do something similar on openSUSE and
removed python2.6 at the time as I wanted the default to be python3..
Not a good idea.. I really mucked my system up. The package manager
"zypper" used python2.6 and wasn't compatible with python3..

This is what I would start with using my limited knowledge and "Google" :-)

Hope it helps.

Martin