[EdLUG] Clearout continues: dual PIII server in an EATX case

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Aug 28 16:38:44 UTC 2017

This should be the last post in this series.

Apart from the Thinkpad and the Dell, everything else offered is still
available.  I'll be giving freegle a go next week and then it'll be dump
time.

Big EATX "full tower" case, 62cm high, 6&4 5.25"&3.5" bays. Beige metal.
  Intel STL2 "serverworks" socket 370 motherboard.
  Dual 933MHz Pentium IIIs.
  2GByte RAM (4x512MByte); would have been a monster back in the day!
  CD-ROM reader (boots install media fine) & floppy drive.
  2 80mm case fans.  A noisy box by modern standards.
  Quite a few cards in it:
    GBit NIC PCI-X card.
    SATA-controller PCI-X card (at least 6 SATA ports, maybe 8).
    PATA-controller PCI card (2 ports).
    4 USB-port PCI card
    Sound card

  *** NO PSU *** (just takes a regular ATX; but I replaced it at some
point relatively recently in its lifetime with one that's good enough
for me to want to keep it as a spare).

  No graphics card but the mobo has basic VGA (800x600?); good enough
for Debian installer's "graphical" mode.

  I can throw in a 30-40GByte PATA drive or two if needed  And more PATA
cables than anyone could possibly use.

Quite sad to be retiring this one as it's had a really good run as a
sink for nightly backups.  All the bits worked great under Linux.  It's
run Debian versions to 8.9 (Jessie) inclusive, and the 9.0 installer CD
seemed to be working fine in it (finds all the network and HDD bits, as
expected).

Quirks:
* There's only one PATA port on the mobo.  I had the root filesystem and
OS on an HDD on that (and the other plug on the cable goes to the CD); I
never tried booting off drives on either of the controller cards.  Think
the mobo has some SCSI ports too but I never used them.
* I never got "etherwake" Wake-on-LAN to work with the PCI-X NIC; but
there's a 100Mbit port on the mobo which WoLs fine (so I had 2 network
cables to it... but one of them was only ever used to wake it up!)
* Despite having the gigabit NIC the CPUs really don't have the compute
power to do rsync-over-ssh fast enough to feed it, and Debian seems to
have been steadily dropping support for the faster but less secure
ciphers (at least with default ssh configurations).  The machine was
also used as an LTSP server for a while but ran out of steam when
unencrypted XDMCP went out of fashion.

Other random bits being disposed of:

* A fax-modem with PSU and phone and serial cables.  Used to use this
for faxing even long after dial-up internet's time had passed.

* Another 4 USB port PCI card.

Collect from Marchmont (but probably not until later this week).

The list will nuke the reply-to address; you can reach me at

  timday at bottlenose.demon.co.uk.

Tim