[EdLUG] Clearout continues: Asus P4S533-E mobo with 2.4GHz Pentium4 and 1GByte RAM

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Aug 24 20:06:13 UTC 2017

Asus P4S533-E mobo with 2.4GHz Pentium4 and stock cooler fitted (and
original mobo box and manuals).  2 x 512MByte RAM sticks (Crucial).

ATX form factor.  3 RAM slots (2 occupied), 6 PCI slots and an AGP.  2
IDE ports.  Has a NIC and audio out; no onboard graphics.  Not sure if
the couple of USBs are any better than the original min.spec jobs for
keyboard and mouse.  Used to run some old Debian version on it 24/7,
although I remember there was some quirk that if you had more than one
HDD on each IDE cable there'd be some sort of kernel freeze once a
fortnight or so (had to have another machine observe the kernel's dying
squawks via the serial port to get to the bottom of that; once the
machine was reduced down to just one hard drive on each cable it was
rock solid; having a CD-ROM on the cable too didn't seem to cause any
trouble).

More spec at
https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-p4s533-e-motherboard-atx-socket-478-sis645dx-series/specs/
but I'm not actually sure which of the 4 variants it is.

Can throw in a 128MByte Nvidia FX6200 AGPx8 card if needed (passive
cooling, VGA out).  (And the previously offered big EATX case with a PSU
and old AthlonXP in it is still up for grabs; this mobo & P4 would be an
upgrade for it).

Tim