[EdLUG] Clearout: old Dell Precision 380 going free

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sat Aug 12 14:49:51 UTC 2017

This is a box I got for free but never got around to doing anything with
before Peter's recent "Clearout" got me something better (thanks again).

Dell Precision 380; a ~2005/2006 era machine.

Not having done anything with it I've no idea what the detailed spec is.
What I do know:

Sticker on the front says "Pentium D"; these were the last gasp of
Intel's "Netburst" architecture before the "Core2" stuff came along.
Supposed to be able to do 64 bit.

It has NO hard drives.  2 empty bays with SATA cabling.

It does have a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive of some sort.  And a floppy drive.

4 RAM slots, fully populated, but I've no idea what by; would be
surprised if there wasn't at least 2GByte (Dell claims these systems
support up to 8GByte).  If it makes a difference, ask and I'll pull a
stick and take a look.

The PCIe x16 in the box is empty but see below.

Case is typical Dell easy-to-open job, with some funky ducting around
the CPU; probably quite quiet.

Comes with a few other bits if wanted:
- A mysterious single 1GByte RAM stick which may or may not be
compatible.
- An ATI X800XL (256MByte) PCIe graphics card (VGA+DVI outs).
- Power cord.

Going for free; collect from Marchmont.

The list will nuke the reply-to address; you can reach me at
  timday at bottlenose.demon.co.uk.

Tim