[EdLUG] Lubuntu 14.04 guest session login failure

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Apr 4 06:19:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

I am experiencing a very strange thing for which there are no ready answers
by googling.  I am a volunteer for a non-profit which puts GNU-Linux
computers in low income shelters.  They are stand-alone machines connected
directly to the Internet via a hub on a dedicated ethernet cable.

The shelters don't want the users to be able to store anything directly to
the machine's hard drive.  To give them that functionality, we ask them to
use the guest session, which wipes out all data by default when the session
ends.

Right now, however, we are experiencing a failure of logging into the guest
session.  Normally, you just choose the guest session in the Lubuntu login
screen, and hit enter, and it boots up a full guest session.  No password
is required.

Now, when I chose the guest session and hit enter, the system appears to
head toward a normal login, but then quickly fails and returns to the login
screen.

The system's SU admin account is performing normally.  To get into the
admin account, I just choose it in the login screen, enter the password,
and the admin session boots up normally.

This whole thing is very strange, and I have never seen anything like it
before.  We are using 14.04 on 13 machines with identical or similar
hardware and are not having any such problems.  This email is being written
on one of those such machines, and the guest session works just fine.

I ran updates on the malfunctioning machines, rebooted, no joy.

Thanks very much in advance.

--
Christian Einfeldt