[EdLUG] Graphics issues

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sat Nov 12 00:45:56 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the input!! It seems I have the GRUB question answered, and you
seem to be saying that it might not be to to with the xorg.conf file, which
seems to make sense given what you said, so I'd like to see if we can
figure out what's actually going on before I go addressing why I can't
create xorg.conf as that may not be the solution.

So, additional info:

The desktop environment is Cinnamon
There is indeed a display settings dialog box which does change the
settings (but sometimes causes a freeze) but the settings are not
preserved, which is the only reason I looked into xrandr in the first place.
The screen resolutions I am trying to hit are either 1280x720 or 1360x768,
which are both listed in xrandr
The lspci output is here: http://pastebin.com/zdSDfPt6 though I suspect the
line you're after is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated
Graphics (rev 09)

The contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log are here: http://pastebin.com/uAgNNAxz
- but a lot of the log is from me calling xrandr way after boot (I
presume).
On line 181 it says "....switch to mode 1920x1080 at 60.0..." still as part of
boot (I presume) but I don't know why it picks that.
Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Regards,

Andrew.