[EdLUG] Asterix

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sat Nov 5 16:06:32 UTC 2016

On 11/05/16 13:42, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> Is anyone using Asterix for home use and if yes would appreciate any advice on
> setting it up and which provider to use for SIP.

Yes.  I use FreePBX to configure it which makes it a much easier proposition.
You still have to understand some of the concepts of course but it makes life
easier.

There is a Pi version based on Debian and one based on Centos which can you
started.  No reason why you shouldn't install it raw on an existing server
though. It's not particularly resource hungry.

You need to pay attention to firewall and passwords.  I only allow external
access from my sip providers and other known IPs.  There's a whole industry
out there trying to get free international phone calls at your expense and
it's astonishing how quickly they find you.

I use POTS with an Obihai SIP adaptor and SIPgate, VoipFone and VoipTel.
SIPgate are my favourite especially as they give me a free Edinburgh number.
I'm, not sure they do that anymore.  You only need one SIP provider though;
they're quite reliable.

VoipFone will give you a number for 2 quid a month and VoipTel much the same
or you can use the given 0870 number.  VoipFone (possibly the others too) will
also provide a PBX service if you want to save running Asterisk yourself. I've
no idea how much it costs.

You have to pay for a prompt set if you don't like the standard one.  Pam is
very sweet but you might not want you phone being answered by a 'merkin'.

I used a voice synthesiser to get a female with a sort of Scottish accent but
there's a gazillion and 3 prompts to do and it gets a bit tedious.  Also I
coded-up a bit of Eat Lights Become Lights for my on-hold music instead of the
dreary elevator music that's provided.  It doesn't sound good over the phone
though (quelle surprise!).

Before you get cracking have a look at FreeSwitch - it's supposed to be better
but I don't know.

If you need help with number plans, blocklists and so on just give me a prod.

Cheers

Dick