[EdLUG] mounting name adjustment & personal

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed May 25 18:45:07 UTC 2016

On 2016.05.25 10:49, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> Hellow edlug.org
>
> Attn:  Tai Kedzierski

Dee,

[snip]

> The drive heads race back and forth from one part of the data sets
> that belong to the A/R system. This beating of air in the drive
> heats the air and then the drive.
>
> If all the A/R component data files are in the same partition as
> the final print A/R file, then writing the print file will have
> a risk if the A/R operation goes on for more than 5 to 10 minuets.
>
> As the drive warms up the thermal compensation can be exceeded for
> that drive. The head(s) no longer are centred on the data track
> but now straddle the data and the guard band. In Windows the write
> update is in the outer tracks where the thermal expansion is most.
>
> Also the head(s) write deeper into warm magnetic surface and that
> takes more write energy to penetrate to erase any hot write. The
> new data is partly on the data track and partly on the guard band.
>
> When the drive cools a bit the heads are again centred on the data
> track but reading part of the old bit and part of the new bit.

That's an interesting theory.

> The outer data tracks index the location of the data further in
> from the rim of the drive. But bad sectors are reported as the
> index information is ambiguous.

This was true when hard drives used the same mechanics as floppy drives.
That's the head stepper motor.
Today one surface of one platter is given over the the address marks
and track alignment data. Thus each track has its own index and index
errors from the outer track are no longer cumulative. Track seeks
are performed using a servo mechanism.  This allows much closer track
spacing to be achieved than with a head stepper.

As there is no longer any head stepper, its no longer possible to perform
a traditional low level format and rewrite the address marks on a HDD.
The address marks and track alignment data are read only.
Readers with long memories may remember destroying early 'voice coil'
actuated drives by carrying out a low level format, as was the habit
at the time.

> If in the A/R example the data sets of sales, customer, inventory,
> and prices are on a Windows partition E: but the A/R creates the
> A/R print file on partition H: nearest the drive hub. The H: drive
> index does not get the bad sectors and the head miss-aligning is less
> at the index to the hub drive rather then at maximum at the rim drive.
>
> The source data files on drive E: are only read so they will suffer
> no hot writes or bad sectors.
>
> It is my intention to test for similar consequences with Linux
> partitioning to see if there may be benefits in heavy drive use
> as may be in server systems.

I will be interested in both your test methods and results.