[EdLUG] mounting name adjustment

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue May 24 20:27:26 UTC 2016

On 2016.05.24 03:23, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:

There has been good replies so far,  I have nothing to add to them
but I'll will address a few points that were only touched on briefly.
Firstly, I'm Gentoo user, not Arch.

> Hello Any LUGer

[snip]

> I then later started to build a multi core 64bit machine
> with a 1 Terabyte drive and partitioned after the swap sda7/arch of
> about 500GB space and sda8/home of the remaining 350GB of the drive.

Research Logical Volume Manager.  One day, you will fill up a partition
and wish you could extend it.  Provided you have some unallocated
space, its two commands, with the logical volume never off line.
That's unlike moving data around to make a partition bigger.

[snip]

> 4) With other operating systems partitioning a drive often speeds up
> the partition one is logged into. Splitting a drive C: to equal C:,
> D: and E: makes working in each about 3 times faster.
That improves seek times as long as the drive head stays over
the same partition. You are in effect, working on a drive with a smaller
number of tracks.  The down side is when you have to fetch something
from another partition. You may have further to seek, so it takes longer.
That's a property of magnetic hard drives, not operating systems.

> Also there were less bad sector errors, often none on the partition
> closest to the hub. Are there related benefits with Linux parts.

If you can find a bad sector on any magnetic hard drive bigger than
about 4Gb, its scrap. Hard drives hide bad sectors by relocating potential
failures to spare sectors.  There is a mapping from the logical block
address to the physical block address in the drive, that the OS is
unaware of. This mapping is not constant for the life of the drive.
Its changed as the drive detects sectors about to fail.
Its possible to detect when this has happened as the drive access
speed drops at these locations.  It also drops as the spare sectors
are skipped.

smartclt -x /dev/sda  from smartmontools will tell you more that you ever
wanted to know about the health (or otherwise) of /dev/sda