[EdLUG] mounting name adjustment

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue May 24 02:23:36 UTC 2016

Hello Any LUGer

Re: mounting name adjustment

I am a few years new to Linux and have migrated to Linux Mint as
a comfortable distro from my long tribulations with MSWin versions.
Our Cowichan Valley BC Canada CowLUG and listserver has recently
exhausted to a static web page so I need seek help from far.

My mounting issue

I like to use extra partitions on my hard drives over the often
recommended sda1/boot, sda5/, sda6/(Linux swap), and sda7/home.

On my Linux Mint 16 machine I was able to fit a partition after
the swap and before the /home. It was sda7/space followed by
sda8/home.

In my file manager under Devices it is listed /space. I click on
it to mount it as the standard user, having changed ownership
from root to the user with the mount point in the /media/(user)
folder.

There may be other ways to mount /space but I am satisfied with
this arrangement for now.

On my Linux Mint 17.2 machine I was more ambitious and I created
three extra partitions after the sda6/swap to be sda7/wares,
sda8/store, and sda9/spare, with sda10/home.

I changed ownership of /store /spare and /wares from root to the
user.

All worked well with the new mount points in the /media/(user)
folder with ownership set to that user.

My latest problem

I then later started to build a multi core 64bit machine
with a 1 Terabyte drive and partitioned after the swap sda7/arch of
about 500GB space and sda8/home of the remaining 350GB of the drive.

The idea is to move completed work from /home/(user) to the /arch
where it can be out of the way of the /home space.

Collections of files can be burned to a data DVD when no longer
needed to be on line all the time and making more /arch space
available. That is how I worked with other operating systems to
manage large Data flow.

I think I made an error forgetting to make the mount point
for /arch /media/(user) and putting it instead into /mnt/.

Using the Disks utility I can get it to mount a a 500GB drive but
not the /arch name I want to use.

I think I need to delete the /mnt/arch mount point and make it in
the /media/(user) folder. I ran into the problem of not knowing
how to delete or edit the entry in /mnt.

1) Can anyone tell me about changing and/or editing mount points.
Is it safe to do so, is there any documentation about this.

2) I am also looking for the rules or options of how to edit mount
options in the Disks utility. If I alter one field it seems to want
to change other fields in the edit mount options settings.

3) Can you suggest any other related and useful documentation to
these mounting issues.

4) With other operating systems partitioning a drive often speeds up
the partition one is logged into. Splitting a drive C: to equal C:,
D: and E: makes working in each about 3 times faster.
Also there were less bad sector errors, often none on the partition
closest to the hub. Are there related benefits with Linux parts.

I have been able to learn some things about editing /etc/fstab
and prefer to use the UUID to identify the drives and partitions.

I also have used sudo chmod a+w /partition-name to check that the
partition settings are as I require them.

I also was able to mount the /sda7/arch partition with some changes
to the disk utility but not with the name /arch as I want to do.

So many new learned tricks but so much more on my learning curve.

Thanks

Dee     adaudio at bc1.com