[EdLUG] Hello from a lurker and why is the list configured this way?

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Mar 24 13:27:03 UTC 2016

On 24/03/16 12:54, Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The history behind some of this was that the mailing list was originally
> hosted on the University's majordomo service which was then migrated to
> Sympa with the archive exported to HTML format which munged peoples
> email addresses while still keeping their name where available. If not I
> think it retained the first portion of the mail address and munged the
> 2nd portion i.e. the part after the @ but the specifics are now lost in
> the mists of time. Most recently, partly because it transpired that the
> archive wasn't visible to anyone outside the University and because
> EdLUG were migrating from an ancient University webserver to lug.org.uk
> hosting the mailing list was moved to it's present Mailman on lug.org.uk
>
> The current config does make it hard to determine who sent a particular
> message but there are good valid reasons for hiding the mail address in
> the archive.
>
> If possible it would be good to get back to the previous setup where
> posters are identifiable without their email addresses being plastered
> on the internet but this would take time wrestling with the Mailman
> config (assuming it's even possible of course)

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't seen many lists set up in this
way, which is why I queried it.

I haven't managed a full Mailman system since I retired, but it's my
understanding that the archiver is site-wide and can't be changed on a
per-list basis, which I assume is what's needed here.

For some time the Hacker Public Radio Mailman list has run without the
Mailman archive feature but copies all messages to the Gmane service
(http://gmane.org/). Gmane does a better job of obscuring addresses,
keeping the "display name" (if any) as well as the local_part, but
replacing the rest.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd mention it.

Dave