[EdLUG] Buying a laptop without Windows

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Jun 6 10:38:43 UTC 2016

Dear LUG members,

I'm considering to by a new laptop (macbook died and I'm a bit fed up with all the proprietary stuff) and of course I'm going to use Linux only on this laptop. The problem is that all laptops currently come with windows pre-installed. Even if they charge a very small tax for windows, it's my principle - I don't agree to pay any single penny to microsoft as soon as I'm not going to use their product.

The question is: do you by any chance know if it's possible to decline their license and get a discount/refund for the windows license? If so, what are the best shops/brands who make this process easier?

Today I tried to call Curry's, but the lady in their call centre had no idea about the subject. She also tried to convince me that "Windows 10 doesn't offer any license. You just buy a laptop and start using it. There's nothing to accept or decline"

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Maxim