[EdLUG] How to tell if a computer is 32 bit or 64 bit

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Sat Jul 30 03:41:54 UTC 2016

Hi Christian,

It seems to me that

    a.) 32 address bits should be able to access
        all 3 GB of your RAM[1],

    b.) installing 64 bit code would waste memory
        for unnecessarily long addresses,

    c.) 32 bit versions of many linux apps are
        available, and

    d.) maybe 32 bit versions of the software
        you'd like to use are also available.

I hope that helps,
Kingsley

[1] 32 bit OS and 4GB memory limit