[EdLUG] participation in the Europe-wide Linux Presentation Day

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 20:09:38 UTC 2016

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 14. Juli 2016, 20:52:33 CEST schrieb Edinburgh Linux Users
Group:

> This looks really interesting. EdLUG has held install days in the past, with
> quite decent attendance and enthusiasm.

obviously it makes a lot of sense to have an install party within the four
weeks after the LPD and use the LPD to advertise that event. Offering Linux
installations at the LPD is generally considered not a good idea (unless you
have really abundant resources (room, people) but even then it might change
the public image of the event and discourage people who really "just want to
look").

The first steps should be:

1) Set up a mailing list for those people who are interested in organising
such an event in your area.

2) Create an event page. That need not contain detailed information (location,
date, time, agenda) until about two weeks before the event but having an URL
to pass on is important. These are the templates (which you need not use,
that's just a suggestion):

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/participate/organizer/
examplepage_location.html

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/participate/organizer/
examplepage_conditional_location.html

BTW: The UK Open Source Industry Association has told me (even without me
contacting them) that they want to support and promote the event. Thus I guess
there will be real UK posters and stickers and not just the "international"
ones from Germany.

The last question is: Will you just wait for a UK coordinator to appear
somewhere or is there maybe someone among you who is willing to participate in
the coordination on the national level? Having a good management on the
national level makes the difference between 65 cities in the first event in
Germany and 5 in the first event in France (which is the second-best).

CU

Hauke
--
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

International phone contact for the Linux Presentation Day:
     tel:+49-30-55579620 (13:00–23:00, German and English)

XMPP (Chat with OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997