[EdLUG] Cheap laptops to give away / scrapping advice

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Fri Jan 15 18:28:14 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Does anybody have any need for either of these two units; failing which
does anybody have advice on how to recycle them responsibly? I'm aware that
laptops and LCDs have some pretty nasty stuff in them and the last thing I
want is for them to end up in a junkyard in Africa, or dumped anywhere in
the world for that matter.

First unit is a MacBook mid-2007, black, 13-inch. Had to replace the
battery once, which is white, so a bit Frankensteiny-looking.
Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 32-bit. 160 GB HDD, I think it's still using
the original 1 GB RAM
French keyboard.
DVD drive, 2 USB ports

Second unit is an Acer Aspire V5 netbook, 11-inch
4GB RAM, Celeron dual-core processor, 500GB HDD
UK keyboard but the spacebar - like the whole Aspire V5 range - is squiffy,
you have to bash it pretty bang on in the middle to register.
2 USB ports + 1x USB3 port, VGA connector

So both could benefit from an external keyboard. Neither run their original
OSes, Lubuntu is about all they can handle whilst leaving space for basic
browser and office activities.

Any takers? Yeah I'm selling them really well I know.

Tai

=====
  I use www.libreoffice.org

*Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price.*
http://bit.ly/foss-why-care