[EdLUG] Module parameters are different from cmdline

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Dec 28 23:57:14 UTC 2016

Hi Roy,

After some investigation it turned out that Ubuntu packs both - gzipped
initrd.img and Intel's microcode into one initrd file. That's why I
couldn't initially extract the whole Init ramfs.

Now I see that i915.ko module is included into initrd and that
/etc/modprobe.d actually has i915.conf with my options inside. So, it's
clear now that i915 is a module and where its configuration comes from.
It's also confirmed by "dmesg" output where i915 reports setting of the
"dangerous options".

The weird thing now is - provided all of the facts above, the module still
ignores the config. It still continues to use some default settings.

There's no other place except /etc/modprobe.d in initrd which contains or
may override "enable_execlists" setting (checked by 'grepping' all of the
extracted contents)

Best Regards,
Maxim