[EdLUG] Locking down Ubuntu 14.04

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Wed Sep 30 17:06:34 UTC 2015

Here's how I understand the reasoning:

The shelter does not want residents saving files to the hard drive ;
specifically, they want to make sure the residents are actively pushed by
the system towards their pen drives

I assume the computers are going to be available in the shelter as
stationary workstations - not for roaming around with.

*Id est*: The requirement of not being able to write to disk is not so much
a security requirement, but rather to ensure residents are saving their
personal documents to the right place - is this correct?

Given these goals, perhaps the easiest solution would be to create a
non-admin user for residents to log in as.
Then, using super user, remove the write permissions on the home directory
(make it non-writable), and change its owner and group to root (make it so
the user can't turn write-ability back on)

adduser user
chmod -R 555 /home/user
chmod -R root:rrot /home/user

Thus they won't be able to write into the downloads or documents folders
etc, but a mounted flash drive would work fine.

Tai

===
Tai Kedzierski

Affordable Office IT for Freelance and Startup Businesses
http://helpuse.com/

  I use www.libreoffice.org

*"Open Source Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price."*
http://bit.ly/foss-why-care