[EdLUG] Introductions - my projects

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Mon Nov 9 09:40:37 UTC 2015

Hi!

I am a computer programmer living in Edinburgh.  I am, for want of a better word, disabled.  I work part time, which gives me opportunity to work on my own projects.  It also lets me maintain a charmingly bohemian lifestyle that is inaccessible to lamentably successful people.

I don’t know anyone in the user group, so I thought I would share the details of my projects, as a surrogate for the cephalopod ability to turn blue in your direction (and red in the direction of other operating system user groups?)

A list:

* I have used Linux since 2006.  My favourite distro is debian.  For desktops, I like... whatever installs without too much bother.

* I love teaching newbies, when I can.  I just tutored a friend through his master’s degree in software development, and received acknowledgement in his thesis.  I don’t have an undergrad degree, so this makes me very happy.

* Since I began programming commercially, I realised I was much more productive with access to infrastructure support.  Both in terms of network services and dedicated VM servers.  What I’m getting at here is that I like fancy computers because they make my life easy, and I have a couple (but nothing too ridiculous).

* I have some interest in computer hardware, and help friends by building machines for them.

* I am learning Go programming language.  To this end, I am writing a concurrent Mandelbrot set renderer in the Unix style.  Currently, the code base is horrible, but I am working towards a saner, more elegant version.  You can see it in action at mandelbrot.functorama.com <http://mandelbrot.functorama.com/>

* I wrote an evil puzzle game in Lisp, once.  It is like B****ard Tetris (bastet), but for the Sega game Columns.  I have binaries if anyone is interested.

* You can probably guess at this point that I like maths, but I’m not very good at it.

* I know how to use Vim and programmed with it for 8 years.  Since this year, I use Sublime Text (and am keenly observing the development of Lime, its free clone).  I don’t use Emacs even though I know (used to know?) Lisp.

* I have an extremely nerdy interest in mechanical keyboards.  This was brought about since I developed RSI and arthritis in my hands (I have hypermobility).

* I also use Mac, the Unix of the Beast.

* I know Perl, god help me.

Feel free to send me mail about computer things.  I love learning and teaching equally.

Cheers,
Johnny