[EdLUG] renaming of illegal filenames

Joe Barnett joe-barnett at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 20 09:58:32 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

I've drawn a blank here,  I have a few files which I want to move but mv
does not like them and rename will not touch them.  I cannot even directly
ls them.

The file names are as follows

-190207Cr5-Training#01.wav
-190207Cr5-Training#02.tcl
-190207Cr5-Training#02.wav
-190207Cr5-Training.avi
-190207Cr5-Training.mda
-190207Cr5-Training.tcl

for instance

mv -190207Cr5-Training* 2007-02-19_training/
mv: invalid option -- '1'

ls -190207Cr5-Training*
ls: invalid option -- '9'

It's that - on the beginning.

The files were created on a Windows (NT4) system,  Perhaps I could run up a
virtual NT machine to change them but there must be an easier way.

Update - I've managed to move the files by going up to the parent then back
down to the child directory, it gets the - away from the front of the file
path but still I have the bad file name.

Update 2 -  I've now renamed them individually by the same method,  but
what a pain!  There were only 6 to do this time,  but there may have been
more.

Still there must be an easier way.