[EdLUG] Suggestions for Recording Presentations at a Conference

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Thu Feb 5 23:38:51 UTC 2015

Folks,

As I mentioned during my talk this evening, I'm involved in planning
conferences for IDUG :http://www.idug.org

We'd like to record as many of the sessions as we can.   Presenters slides
and audio.

This gives us some challenges.   Many of the presenters come from large
corporates who are not allowed, on pain of death, to install software or
even plug anything into their laptops.

At the last conference in Prague we did the following -

The speakers were using wireless mikes which went to a mixing desk in each
room which drove the loudspeakers.   We took a feed from this to a little
audio to USB converter : this gives us the audio.

A volunteer would use his PC and would step through the presentation in
sync with the speaker moving his slides.

The audio and the screen with slides were brought together using a (Windows
only) piece of software called Camtasia (it wasn't great, but one of the
volunteers was able to use some FOSS software (I think ffmpeg) to convert
this into something useable.

What I'd like to find is a piece of software for Linux which I can use on
my Ubuntu laptop to do something similar.  I've found a list of
alternatives here -

http://alternativeto.net/software/camtasia-studio/?platform=linux

Has anyone got any experiences (good or bad) of any of these ?

RecordMyDesktop and Kazam seem to be the favourites from the Google-sphere.

Phil.

.