[EdLUG] /etc/init.d/rc/local not executing

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Dec 8 22:52:12 UTC 2015

Edinburgh Linux Users Group wrote:
> Hi,  any bright ideas?
>
> I've just updated my raspbmc, now known as Kodi, and I am not seeing
> /etc/init.d/rc.local executing on boot.
>
> I am using a Pi model B which reports via "lsb_release -a" as
>
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID:	Debian
> Release:	7.8
> Codename:	wheezy

Well, if you'd dist-upgraded to Jessie I'd ask if you'd let it switch
you from a traditional sysv-style init to the systemd version, since
that reorganises a lot of this sort of stuff.

Googling "systemd rc.local" gets some plausible leads if that's it.
If not I'd suggest looking for init-related packages in
/var/log/apt/history.

Personally I've always done this sort of thing as a cronjob, since you
can get them to run "@reboot" without having to worry about things
like runlevels and dependency-based boot and so on.
--
Justin B Rye
Ankh kak! (Ancient Egyptian blessing)