[EdLUG] /etc/init.d/rc/local not executing

Edinburgh Linux Users Group edlug at lists.edlug.org.uk
Tue Dec 8 22:27:51 UTC 2015

Hi,  any bright ideas?

I've just updated my raspbmc, now known as Kodi, and I am not seeing
/etc/init.d/rc.local executing on boot.

I am using a Pi model B which reports via "lsb_release -a" as

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	7.8
Codename:	wheezy
 and "uname -a" gives

Linux raspbmc 3.12.31 #2 PREEMPT Wed Oct 29 09:24:56 UTC 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

The /etc/rc.local used to execute before the latest upgrade so I put a line in
/etc/rc.local
echo "running rc.local" > /home/pi/rc_test.txt
but alas on reboot no such text file appears.

I then checked /etc/init.d/rc.local which is supposed to call /etc/rc.local.
 Putting in the line -
echo "running initrc.local" > /home/pi/initrc_test.txt  to check execution.
On reboot no text file is generated.

I tried "sudo /etc/init.d/rc.local start" which generated both test text files.

The current runlevel is 2 in which rc.local is supposed to execute as shown by
grep -nrI Default-Start /etc/init.d/rc.local  which returns

"6:# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5"

It's not as if any execute flags are wrong, the thing runs manually.

Something has changed to prevent /etc/init.d/rc.local being called.

I'm thankful that I took an image of the SD card before upgrading but I would
really like to make this version work.

Thanks,

Joe.